Building material is any material which is used for construction purposes. Many naturally occurring substances, such as clay, rocks, sand, and wood, even twigs and leaves, have been used to construct buildings. Apart from naturally occurring materials, many man-made products are also in use.
The use of these materials is typically segmented into specific specialty trades, such as carpentry, insulation, plumbing, and roofing work. They provide the structure of homes.
What are the commonly used building materials?
Some of the most widely used materials for constructing homes and commercial buildings include:
- Clay: One of the most widely used building materials includes clay as well as mud. Both these materials are used to build homes. It is considered the most suitable constructing material in warm places as it keeps the interiors cool. It also has the advantage of being long lasting.
- Glass: Another notable material used for constructing offices and huge mansions. Glass buildings are quiet common these days with a variety of glass available in the markets today. The diverse variety includes frosted glass, colored glass and stained glass.
- Rock: Rock has been considered as the oldest building materials used for constructing homes. It is the strongest and most durable material used for construction.
- Metals: Most of the structures are built in metals like iron and steel to ensure strength and durability. Metal structures are strong, expensive and last for a long period of time.
- Concrete: Concrete structures are also durable and strong. Made of gravel, sand, water and cement, concrete is used build homes and offices.
- Wood: There are many kinds of wood used as building materials. However, it is important to use good quality wood to ensure better durability. Low quality wood is susceptible to different kinds of extremities like termites, cracks and splinters.
- Marbles and Granite: Other materials include marble, granite and ceramic tiles. Granite counter-tops are most preferred by people due to its beauty and versatility. Marbles are used for constructing houses as it is known for its unique features.
Importance of building materials
Using quality building materials whether or not they are green certified or energy efficient is essential for your long term investment and safety. There are many green products on the market today that are both beautiful and functional. Many green products that are environmentally friendly are also energy efficient in your home making your initial investment pay off in the long term. NSA Kaiksow provides wide range of services. For more details, do visit our website at www.nsa-kaiksow.com